Chicken is one of the most consumed meat in the world and why not? Just the thought of consuming chicken makes your mouth-water. It’s every non vegetarian eater’s delight.Chicken is soft, tender, juicy and so adaptable! To get the best out of the chicken meat, you need to get the best cuts. But do you know the various cuts of chicken meat? Believe me- right cooking method for each chicken cut whether drumstick or wing makes it more appetising and delicious. There are at least 7 ways in which you can cut up chicken. Here is a quick lowdown on the same.
- WOG- This is basically the whole bird without the head. It includes whole breasts, thighs, drumsticks, wings, back but does not include giblets (these are other parts of the chicken like heart, liver, and gizzard.). Sometimes whole chicken is cut into breast halves with ribs, back portion, wings, things and two drumsticks and sold as whole chicken.
- Tenders- These are little bits of tender meat under each chicken breast. Tenders are not more than 1 ½ inches in size and totally delicious when fried. Since they are smaller than the breast cut, they are more moist and make great finger food suchas chicken fingers, chicken goujons, chicken strips or chicken fillets.
- Thigh-Chicken thigh is just above the knee joint. It can be bought with the bone and skin or boneless and skinless. Many consider the thigh as the best and tastiest part of the bird. Higher fat content does make it more flavourful and it’s also a more economical alternative to buying chicken breasts, so feel free to experiment using thigh meat instead of breast meat
- Drumstick- The portion between the knee joint and hock or the lower part of leg quarter is called drumstick; it does not include the thigh. Drumsticks are favourite finger food and ideal for baking or barbecuing. They are perfect for kids who love eating with their hands and simply great for picnics!
- Whole Wings-This is one of the most popular parts of the chicken. Whole wing includes drumette (the portion of white meat between shoulder and elbow), mid-section and tip. Whole wings are essentially the entire wing without the giblets. The skin is the hero here as it becomes nice and crispy while the bones give it a rich and meaty flavor and make every dish utterly delicious!
- Breast- Chicken breast is the part attached to the breast. It is definitely one of the most popular cuts of chicken as it is a rich source of protein and low on fat. Chicken breast is very versatile as it tastes awesome grilled, pan fried, oven roasted or stuffed. It’s also tastes great in salads.
- Legs-Chicken leg is drumstick –thigh together. It’s the whole leg and the cut starts at the hip joint. We love the tangadi kebabs and chicken legs in biryani!
So what are you waiting for? Rush to the market and grab the chunk you like… Altogether it will be a perfect delight and an obliging diet for the body...You can always experiment new dishes with all different cuts and enjoy the enchanting and vigorous diet in your daily quotidian.